Polar Bear Blubber experiment

Tuesday, May 12, 2015


My class was learning about Polar Bears. A couple of students raised their hand and asked, "aren't the polar bears freezing? How can they live like that?" Instead of just explaining why, I decided to SHOW them. I have to give credit to Pinterest, because that is where I found this experiment.
What you will need- oil, large 3 slider ziploc bags, a large clear bowl, ice, water.
Set Up- Fill up the bowl with water. Add a lot of ice. I poured in a 2 lb bag. Pour the oil inside of two bags and zip it closed. Put them straight down in the water. Next, put those two bags of oil into another zip top bag. You're ready!
Presentation- I had the students sit in an assembly style fashion. I pulled name sticks and the kids came up one by one and put their hand in the ice. I asked them how it felt. Then, I had them put their hand in the middle of the two bags of oil. Wrap their hand closed around it and submerge it in the ice. Ask them to compare and contrast with the hand in the ice versus surrounded by the oil. 

No comments